Saturday, December 3, 2011

My Disorder

It is the Christmas Season! With snow, fun, and most importantly, love!

Recently, I was reading one of the many Christmas books we have stocked in our house. I found one called "Sharing Christmas." It is a collection of many stories from many different people. I just opened to the story that had an interesting title and read this:

"I was fourteen and I wanted to die. Part of the problem was that I was fourteen and female. My brother John, the doctor, says that being fourteen and female is a disorder actually recognized by the American Psychiatric Association, and his professor once spent a whole day talking about it in his Introduction to Psychiatry class. Psychical symptoms of the fourteen-and-female syndrome include slumping in chairs, standing with arms folded across the chest, and wearing the exact same clothes as other disturbed fourteen-year-old girls. Behavioral symptoms include crying, trying on lip gloss, crying, going to the mall, crying, talking to disturbed fourteen-year-old boys on the telephone- and crying. It's a terrible disease, and so far there's no cure."
What a disease. I know I have it. I know a ton of people have it, all of them being fourteen year old girls. I say that we should find a cure, because we are in great need of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment